Pages

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Summer Make-Aheads

 I love to get ahead over the summer...or at least I'd like to think that I am getting ahead!  One thing that I do get done in advance is birthday cards for my students.  I make these easy foldable cards in advance for student birthdays during the year.  We pass the cards around, and every student gets to sign or write a message inside.  I also make gifts for the students using tissue paper, paper towel rolls, and ribbon.  The gifts are filled with candy, pens/pencils, erasers and stickers.  The students have to take the gifts home before they can open them-this helps in case two gifts are not exactly the same-but I tell them that it is so the gifts can be a surprise.  I love to find little things in the dollar section at Target (5 crayon-shaped erasers in a pack, sheets  of stickers, packs of fun pencils).  Stores like Staples also have clearance sections where you can find deals!
 The cards are made from 12 x 18 sheets of construction paper.  The paper is folded in half, and then half of one half is folded.  I cut two 3 1/2 x 9 rectangles from a different color of construction paper and glue those pieces on so that the closed paper looks like a square (which is supposed to look like a present).  Punch two holes, tie a ribbon for a bow, add a tag, and you have an inexpensive gift that your students will love!!!

I'd love to know what other projects that teachers make ahead of time over the summer.  Please share!

2 comments:

Darleen Dufour said...

The birthday cards and gifts are soo cute! I am definitely going to do this next school year. Thanks for stopping over at my blog!!!!
Darleen
Third Grade Love

Julie Buda said...

Thanks, Darlene!

Post a Comment

I love your comments!