Pages

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Favorite Picture Books Linky

The Teacher Wife


I am crashing the party-the Must Have Picture Book Linky Party, hosted by The Teacher Wife. Here are a few of my favorites:

Rechenka's Eggs: I love everything Patricia Polacco, but this is one of my favorites. I read this every year at Easter and teach my students about Pysanky and their symbolism. I have a decorated egg that I share with my kids after reading the book. It is a sweet story, and the pictures are beautiful.








"You put your head in, you put your head out. You do the Hokey Pokey and you turn yourself around...that's all we could do."

This book Cracks.Me.Up. I read this during our soil unit. Love it!







With a name like Pinkney, it has to be good! I love The Talking Eggs. Jerry Pinkney's gorgeous illustrations steal the show in this Creole version of a Cinderella story.






Another Doreen Cronin book-it's an election year, and I know that I will be reading this aloud to my third graders. I love all of the little jokes that are dispersed throughout the book-Duck even plays saxophone on late night TV during his campaign-funny!







My kids always LOVE when we are learning figurative language, especially idioms! I always share A Chocolate Moose for Dinner and The King Who Rained. Even though I have to explain some of the sayings, it is still a lot of fun.




I can't wait to look over other lists and get some new read aloud ideas!

6 comments:

twilliams said...

I love the book A chocolate Moose for Dinner! I found you on the linky and am now a follower!

Teresa

2nd Grade Pig Pen

Lindsey (The Teacher Wife) said...

Thanks for linking up! :)

Brigid said...

I have never read W Chocolate Moose for Dinner! I will have to check it out! Thanks for sharing! I am your newest follower! If you have time check out my blog and follow!
Brigid
Brigid's Daily Lesson Log

Susan Moran said...

I Love Duck for President! We do so many fun activities in 1st grade for President's Day with that book!

Just found your blog :)

Susan
T.G.I.F. (Thank God it's First Grade!)

The Meek Moose said...

I had not heard of the creole Cinderella story before, and I am always searching for alternative versions to share with my kids. This will be a great addition to my wish list!
~Heather
The Meek Moose

Courtney Long said...

I've seen "A Chocolate Moose for Dinner" but I've never read it! I need to find a copy! :)

Make sure to stop by and enter my giveaway
-Courtney
2ndgradesnapshots.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

I love your comments!