Pages

Friday, August 3, 2012

Blog Spotlight, a Confession, and a Great Book

I am still a pretty new blogger, and I get so excited when people leave comments on my page.  Last night I received a comment from Alison at Teaching Maths with Meaning.  I stopped by her blog to thank her, and I was blown away but the math materials that she has!  She is a third grade teacher in Australia-how cool is that?  But what is even cooler is that she is giving away freebies of some of her creations.  Please show her some bloggy love and go check her out!

Now my confession...I have been unfaithful to my bookshelf.  My Shelfari says that I am reading Look Homeward, Angel and Teaching By Heart.  I really am reading those, but I'm just not that into them (one is for my book club, and the other was a non-required reading for my grad class).  So what have I been reading?  I was too embarrassed to add these to my Shelfari, but I recently finished:
Yes, you read those titles correctly.  Both were really funny books, and I would highly recommend any of Celia Rivenbark's books to any southerners or southern transplants with a sense of humor (just the titles of her books are hysterical).  It's summer, right?  I've read enough research this summer that I think I deserve some fun reading.  Give me clever humor over Fifty Shades of Grey any day.

No, those weren't my suggestion for a great book.  That would be the other book that I am reading:
Yep, that's Ron Clark from The Essential 55.  Our staff had to read it a few years ago, and you may have too.  His current book is about how he runs his school, Ron Clark Academy, in Atlanta.  I am REALLY enjoying this book.  He is so motivated to help children and will stop at nothing to help them.  Every school wants to be student-centered, and his truly is.  I also love the fact that not every story in the book is rosy-there are times when he was not able to help a student, and you can tell that it just tears him apart to even recall those situations.   This is a book that every teacher (and parent!) should read, as there are tips for everyone that touches the lives of children.

Although I am not embarrassed about reading this book, I still probably won't put it on the Shelfari because I am reading it so quickly!

I hope that everyone has a wonderful weekend!!!!


3 comments:

Alison Hislop said...

Thankyou so much for the Shoutout Julie! So lovely! My blog has had sooo much traffic over night! There are still lots of freebies on my site if you search through past sites!

Thanks,
Alison
mathswithmeaning.blogspot.com.au

Heather said...

I am your newest follower. I love Ron Clark he is so motivation!

Mrs. L said...

I love Ron Clark! His books are always so inspiring. They really make you stop and rethink things.
Life with Mrs. L

Post a Comment

I love your comments!