Pages

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Five for Friday Linky (on Saturday)

I'm joining up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for her Five for Friday Linky!

Time for 5 random things about my week.  I know that I am posting this on Saturday, but here is the reason:

1.  I GOT 12 HOURS OF SLEEP LAST NIGHT!!!!!!
Being the party animal that I am, I was in bed by 8:30 on a Friday night.  Honestly I would rather stay up and catch up on work on a Friday night (even more exciting, right?), but between staying up for New Year's and not sleeping well on the other nights I have been EXHAUSTED!  I am feeling slightly more human today.  Now I have the energy for a busy Saturday, which includes my daughter's basketball practice and a bowling birthday party for one of her friends (I know, you are jealous of the life I lead).

2.  Homeland, my new addiction
 Have you seen this show?  Wow.  I mean, wow!  It is intense from the second it starts.  I have only watched 3 episodes, but I am hooked.  We do not have Showtime, so we have to pay to watch episodes.  That is probably a good thing, because I might not leave the house if I could watch all of it for free.  Parts of it were filmed in Mooresville, so I can't believe we waited until this week to actually start watching it.

3.  I gave my students writing homework!
Again, this is not very exciting, but I am resolving to help my students become better writers.  I don't think that any teacher feels like they do enough writing with their students.  I know that I could do more!  We've done a bit of writing so far this year, but I have decided to take a few steps back and work on tweaking some of their basic sentences.  I gave them this assignment the other night for homework.  I know that many of my students rush through their homework, so I was also hoping that this was a way to get them to slow down and check that they met all of the requirements for the assignment.  I was pretty pleased with the majority of the work that was turned in.  Some students may have had help from their parents, but that's okay!  I received no complaints, so I might just have to do this again!

4.  Area and Perimeter and Distributive Property, oh my!
The end of the quarter is almost here, which means end of quarter testing!  We have been doing a great deal of work on area and perimeter, and the students are having difficulty keeping the two concepts straight.  Throw in splitting area arrays to demonstrate the distributive property, and I am stressed!  One of my co-workers and I have made plans to create (or find) some awesome review activities over the weekend.  I'll be sure to share if I am able to make anything really great!

5.  Promethean ActivTable

This Thursday, I am going to a training session on using Promethean boards and the new Promethean Activ Tables!   How cool are these things?   I don't know that my district is actually purchasing the tables, but I cannot wait to (literally) get my hands on one of these tables!  I wonder if there is an air hockey app for them...don't they look like they would be perfect for that? 


I hope that everyone has an awesome weekend!!!

1 comments:

Heather said...

This year our district split teaching perimeter and area into 2 different quarters in the hopes that kids wouldn't be so confused! I am in the middle of making a review game for perimeter as I type! I also teach 3rd and it is SO hard for them! Good luck to you with your new board. I have had a Smart board for 3 years and can't imagine teaching any other way now!!
I am your newest follower,
Heather
Kickin' It With Class

Post a Comment

I love your comments!