Pages

Friday, July 17, 2015

Five for Friday: July 17

Friday already?  I love summertime, where every day is basically a Friday!  It's time to link up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for the weekly party.  Here are five highlights from my week.



My daughter just turned 8!!!!  I can't believe how big she is getting.  We had a slumber party with a few friends a couple of weeks ago, and this week we celebrated by going to see...
I was an Annie junkie as a kid.  I had the soundtrack (on vinyl) and had it memorized well before the first movie version even came out.  I was about my daughter's age when I first saw it live, so I was beyond excited to get to take her to see it.  And no, I didn't sing along (but I wanted to!).



This week's read...The Castaways by Elin Hilderbrand.  My sister loaned this to me, as I had never read any books by Elin Hilderbrand before.  I was expecting some sort of beach-themed love story, which is totally not my preferred genre, so I was pleasantly surprised by the aspect of mystery to this book.  The characters are far from perfect, although some situations are not the most plausible (although, I could not imagine living in an idyllic place like Nantucket).  I will definitely check out some other books by her.

Next up...


I was a guest blogger on The Techie Teacher!
One of my goals this summer is to increase my blog following, so I thought that this would be a great way to get some of my ideas out there and reach a larger audience.  I wrote about Wixie, a multi-purpose presentation/creation tool that is big in my school district.  It is great for younger students, so I wanted to share some of the things that we have done with it.  Unfortunately it is not a free program, but I find that many free sites are only good to a certain extent.  If there is something good that could benefit a large population of students, then I think that schools should pay and use it to its potential!


Next up is...

I downloaded this app a few days ago and have been using it to communicate with some teachers that I will be working with to do a global connection presentation.  More on that to come, but so far I am enjoying Voxer.  It is pretty much a walkie-talkie that records your conversations/messages.  It's like a collaborative voice mail on steroids.  One member of my group uses Voxer regularly to collaborate with a wide network of teachers.   I can't wait to learn all of the uses for this app!

Last, but not least...

PLUTO!!!

How cool was the flyby of Pluto?  I mean, NewHorizons has been traveling for 9 years and JUST got there.  
 Seriously, though, I just can't fathom that kind of forethought and planning.  Science is awesome, and I'm glad that there are geniuses who can think like this while I can just sit here in awe.  


You are still loved, Pluto.  Science rocks.  



Have a great weekend!!!

3 comments:

Lena Troxtell said...

Hey, I am a NC blogger also. I love the Pluto thing. I was laughing at it the other day and my kids asked what I was laughing about, I told them and they so didn't get it. Have a great weekend!!

~*~Lena~*~
4th Grade with Glitter

Teaching Little Miracles said...

Ha ha! Cheers for Pluto--which will always be a planet in my book! LOL! ;-)

Crystal
Teaching Little Miracles

JanCT said...

I knew all the Annie songs by heart, too! My grandmother bought me the Annie Broadway soundtrack on vinyl as well as The Sound of Music! I had a less-accomplished version of The Wizard of Oz soundtrack and Grease, too! My taste in music was diverse!
Jan
Laughter and Consistency

Post a Comment

I love your comments!