Pages

Friday, July 24, 2015

Five for Friday: July 24


FRIDAY!!!!!  Which means it's time to link up with Doodle Bugs Teaching.  Here are 5 things about my week:


Twitter!  In this post last week, I mentioned how I was in Social Media Overload.  I guess I have been trying too many things at once.  I tried my first Twitter Chat  last Saturday morning, and it was pretty cool.  It was all for newbies like me at #nt2t (New Teachers to Twitter).  It was a lot of affirmation of why teachers should be using Twitter to connect with other educators.  I definitely made some connections and gained several new followers.  Now I am looking forward to participating in some other live chats and really seeing where Twitter can take me. 


Global Connections/Collaboration!  Next week, I get to present at my district's Summer Institute (our annual staff development).  I am working with 3 other phenomenal teachers to develop a session on the value of making connections and how that can be used in the classroom.  It has been a great experience to learn from some teachers who regularly use social media to connect their classrooms with others.  
       Side note: one member of my group is a high school science teacher who just came back from an exploration of the Galapagos Islands and has traveled to every continent except Africa for the sake of science.  Without going into too much detail, she is my new hero.



My new sneakers!  

I wasn't blogging much last summer/fall when I somehow tore a tendon in my ankle.  Before that, I was attempting to be a runner, and I had a really nice pair of Mizuno's.  I ended up wearing them out during while I recovered from my ankle injury.  I mostly only wore one shoe (while the other was in either a cast or a walking boot).  When I was able to wear both shoes, I had my hurt foot in a brace.  The brace must have destroyed that sneaker so that now I have been getting crazy blisters on that foot when I try to go walking.  So...I finally went to get a new pair of sneakers (I'd like to say running shoes, but I was barely a runner before my injury).  I ended up with a pair of Brooks, and so far I am pretty happy!  I like that they have a 30 day return policy, no matter the condition.  After the year I've had, I have a new appreciation for wearing good shoes and taking care of my feet.  I am going for some long walks, and hopefully will work up the courage to run again.



This week's read:  A Wedding in December by Anita Shreve.
A few year's ago, I read The Pilot's Wife by the same author.  I loved that book, so I was looking forward to reading this one.  It is an interesting account of a group of high school friends who have their own sort-of reunion over 25 years later when two members of their group reconnect and decide to get married.  It brings up a lot of "what-if's" for all of them as they reflect the paths that their lives have taken.  There were some slow parts, but I love that the book left me wondering about some of their final decisions.  



My daughter is obsessed with pugs.  We don't have any pets at all, but we may have to seriously consider a pug if we decide to get a dog.  They really are so ugly that they're cute.  I can't decide which is funnier, the screaming or the head tilts.  I just don't want one that snores.

Enjoy your day!!!

3 comments:

Kim Coker said...

I am so behind the times with Twitter! I did a Twitter chat the other night and it was crazy trying to keep up! I did find out that using TweetDeck was super helpful.
Kim
iTeachSTEM

ES said...

I keep thinking I should check out Twitter but it's overwhelming to even know where to start. I will have to check out that new teachers chat!

My Bright Blue House

Mrs Penna said...

Twitter took over my life for a while! Ha! I wish I was allowed to use Twitter in my classroom--it sparks so much conversation!

http://5thgradefantastic.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment

I love your comments!